IMPORTANT:

1/1
If your child is going to be absent please call 01202 242300 by 8.30am.
 

Art at Oak Academy Art is a fundamental subject in every student's educational journey

Art Teaching Staff

  • Mrs A Whitby: Curriculum Leader
  • Miss A Knipe

Why is Art important?

Art is a fundamental subject in every students educational journey. A classic subject almost as old as time, it not only allows students to develop key design skills, it also helps with their understanding of the wider world. The skills they acquire from Year 7 onward in exploring, investigating, understanding and applying can be utilised across the curriculum.

Starting with the basics of scale, proportion, light and shadow, students will cover a wide range of movements, exploring the way that Art has followed close on the heels of change throughout civilisation. In particular we pay close attention to Modernism and Post Modernism whilst drawing comparisons to non-western art and antiquity.

Those who opt to study Art in Key Stage 4 will follow the requirements of AQA GCSE Art & Design which focus on exploring existing art and artefacts, experimenting with traditional and non-traditional materials, and developing and realising design ideas. The course will culminate in an externally set unit that allows the students the freedom to apply their acquired skills to create individual and experimental outcomes.

Teaching and Learning in Art

Art teachers use a wide range of teaching and learning approaches to engage students and stimulate their interest. The majority of work is independent and individual, with group work focusing on critique, modification and refinement. Students are given the confidence and opportunity to work in new ways, with new materials, to discuss openly the outcome, both positive and negative.

Students have the opportunity to explore the work of a broad reaching range of artists and practitioners, looking at the legacies they have left for future generations and students are encouraged to discuss and record the influence they have encountered.

The ability to deconstruct works of art is developed throughout the five years and will be valuable across the curriculum.

Homework gives students the opportunity to demonstrate what they have acquired in lessons or to research new ideas for upcoming topics. This work undertaken outside of the classroom is a vital element on their journey to become independent learners.

Curriculum Vision Creative Arts

GCSE Specific

Key Stage 3

Throughout Years 7 to 9, students cover a wide range of genres and styles. For example, Year 7 will explore chiaroscuro and line through the work of Augustus Pugin, and colour through the eyes of Fauvism. Moving into Year 8 we explore Cubism, Hockney’s landscapes and Pop Art portraits.

The specification of AQA Art & Design requires our learners to produce a portfolio of work that demonstrates innovation and originality, whilst paying homage to artists throughout time. This portfolio (worth 60% of the grade) must consist of one major and at least one minor project. The course structure allows the students the freedom to experiment whilst being closely aligned to the assessment criteria. The remaining 40% is gained from completing the Externally set Controlled Assessment task. During this unit the students are allowed the freedom to explore a broad range of ideas which culminate in the 10 hour assessment period.

ations

The link to the GCSE specification for Art & Design can be found below:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/art-and-design